Completion and start-up of 2 high-rate gas wells
To safely bring 2 high-rate gas production wells online within their well integrity envelopes to produce a combined total of 400 MMscf/d of gas.
Oil and gas operator
Offshore subsea gas wells
Add Energy’s well engineering specialists were contracted by a leading oil and gas operator to assure a safe and successful start-up of 2 high-rate gas wells in offshore Australia.
Add Energy handled the entire process on behalf of our client, kicking off with the development of the well commissioning acceptance criteria and assuring compliance with this, to the handover of the live wells to the operations team offshore.
Why we were contracted
- With in-house resource constraints caused by multiple wells being commissioned at the same time, and due to the risks associated with the start-up process of the high-rate gas wells, it was critical to contract highly experienced and specialized personnel to deliver the scope
- Add Energy has an excellent track record in bringing high-rate gas wells online and decades worth of lessons learned for overcoming common issues faced during the process
- As well integrity was of course a key area of focus during this process, it was critical to rely on a contractor with significant well integrity expertise and established processes that had been tried and tested in this environment
- Campaign time-driven objectives also contributed to the reason why Add Energy were selected, as the operator was in the process of bringing numerous wells online at the same time, it was critical to rely on competent specialists to meet the project goals
What we did
- Developed the start-up procedure, a prescriptive list of key steps and conditions the operator must follow to assure the wells flow safely
- Conducted a well integrity assessment and study to assure well integrity and what needs to be completed to hand over to the operate phase
- Developed the start-up procedure, a prescriptive list of key steps and conditions the operator must follow to assure wells flow safely
- Managed and executed the process of bringing the wells online, and provided remote verification to detect any issues during this period
- Delivered a close-out report with details of the start-up, issues that were identified and overcome and recommendations for:
- Production management during the operate phase
- Improvements to the process for future start-ups of offshore high-rate gas wells
Safely brought 2 high-rate gas wells online with integrity intact for production to commence
Developed start-up and commissioning documentation that can be utilized across the business for future start-ups
Delivered training on how the design of the well influences the way it is operated to the offshore operators
Unloaded the gas wells to the drilling rig and conducted low-rate testing ahead of handover to operations
The wells are now in the operate phase and meeting their production targets of 400 MMscf/d
The wells were brought online safely and went through a series of well integrity assurance measures to assure integrity across the lifecycle of the well
Delivered on time, on budget
The wells were brought online within the stipulated time frame and budget
Risk reduction tactics
Add Energy provided detailed recommendations for the operation of wells to minimize risk to production or safety assurance being compromised
Blueprint for high-rate gas well commissioning
We delivered a suite of corporate documentation for high-rate gas wells that can be used by the client for future high-rate gas well commissioning projects
Want to know more?
To speak to one of our team members about this project, or to discuss how we can deliver or support well design completion and testing, please fill in this form and a member of our team will be in touch.